The University of the Southern Caribbean entered into a contractual agreement with the Ministry of Education of Trinidad and Tobago to train its secondary school teachers for the graduate diploma in Education. As such, there are distinct requirements that teachers who are employed by the Ministry of Education should fulfil to be eligible for the programme. The University of the Southern Caribbean offers a Graduate Diploma in Education.
One of the requirements for the completion of this program of study is the teaching or administrative practicum. The entire practicum is done at the students’ current school of assignment so that there will be no interruption of the teaching and learning process.
Particulars about funding and program structure are outlined below. Students who are not employed by the Ministry or those who are self-funded can be admitted into the program using the regular admission and funding requirement.
Along with the regular admission requirement for the program in the School of Education and Humanities, students who are currently employed by the Ministry of Education and are sponsored by the Ministry of Education must:
- Have two years of teaching experience with the Ministry of Education
- Be assessed as Teacher 3, Teacher 2, or its equivalent. The assessment letter must be submitted with their application. Teacher 1’s teaching in secondary school may be considered.
Admission, Registration and Funding
Students must apply to the University of the Southern Caribbean using the regular application forms. They will be assessed and if accepted, they will be recommended to the Ministry of Education. The Ministry of Education will make the final decision of whether or not the applicant can be accepted into the program. Once accepted by the Ministry of Education, the student will be sent admission letters and may begin the registration process when it is announced.
Funding and specializations
There is funding available for students who are sponsored by the Ministry of Education. It is broken down as follows:
- 50% of the tuition cost is covered by Gate
- 50% of tuition cost and general fees are covered by the Ministry of Education.
It is the student’s responsibility to go through the GATE application process.
Application deadline for 2019-2020 Cohort is May 15, 2019
The course EDCI 580 Pedagogical Principles in Specific subject areas…, offers a variety of subject specializations:
- Information Technology
- Clothing and Textiles
- Food and Nutrition
- Home Economics/Home Management
- Social Studies
- Agricultural Science
- Integrated Science
- Educational Administration
- Start Date: July 8, 2019
- Orientation and Registration: July 8
- Format: Modular (Three modules per semester)
- Delivery: Blended and Face to Face
- Days/Time: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday (5 pm-8pm for semester 1 and 2; Third Semester 9-12 & 1-4)
- Programme Duration: 1 Year