Welcome to The Art of Television and Video Production!
This course ignites your passion for production and equips you with essential skills to create captivating TV and video content. Theory meets practice through interactive lectures, workshops, and real-world projects. Learn to operate audio/video equipment, master visual grammar, and follow proper production procedures. Whether you aim to produce TV shows, documentaries, or online videos, this course empowers you to bring your vision to life.
In this course, we will:
- Explore the stages of production: pre-production, production, and post-production.
- Delve into scriptwriting, discovering the power of a well-crafted story.
- Learn about floor plans and their role in coordinating cast and crew.
- Gain knowledge in operating studio and location setups for capturing scenes.
- Enter the realm of post-production and discover its potential for enhancing storytelling.
The Art of Television and Video Production
This class is a hands-on introductory production course that builds skills and applies the knowledge of Television and Video production to a class project. The student is expected to demonstrate proficiency with the operation of audio and video equipment, the grammar of the visual medium, and proper procedures of production. Areas that will be examined are preproduction, production, and postproduction - script, lighting, floor plans, and studio and location operation.
- Dates: July 3 - July 14, 2023
- Days: Mondays - Thursdays
- Time: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Location: USC Main Campus, Maracas, St. Joseph, Trinidad
- Delivery: Face-to-face
- Virtual: No
- Total Hours: 40
- Course Type: Professional Certificate
- Pre-requisites: None
Requirements for Participants:
- Video Camera (where possible)
- Come prepared to take notes
Meet the Instructor: Dr. Dwyane A. Cheddar
Dwyane A. Cheddar, DProf
Dr. Dwyane A. Cheddar is an esteemed professional in the broadcasting industry, currently serving as the Director of Oakwood University Broadcasting Network (OUBN) and Associate Professor in the Department of Communication at Oakwood University. With over 20 years of experience in broadcasting and lecturing in higher education, Dr. Cheddar brings a wealth of expertise to his role.
After graduating with a major in Drama in Education from Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts, Dr. Cheddar embarked on a remarkable career journey. He gained valuable experience as an Information Officer at the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC) before joining the Creative Production and Training Centre Limited (CPTC), a leading television production facility in the Caribbean. His talent and dedication led him to receive a prestigious scholarship from the British Council to study Television Production and Direction at the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).
Upon his return to the CPTC, Dr. Cheddar excelled as a top trainer in Television Production and held pivotal positions such as Director, Senior Producer, and Video Manager. He directed and produced a range of engaging programs, including popular shows like "Rappin'," "Hill an Gully," "The Family Bonanza Show," and "Behind di Riddim." His expertise extended to directing live television productions, including coverage of notable state visits and events featuring influential figures like Nelson Mandela, Pope John Paul II, and Queen Elizabeth II.
Dr. Cheddar's passion for education led him to join West Indies College (now Northern Caribbean University) as the Media Director, where he formalized the Media Center and developed the curriculum for the BA Degree in Mass Communication. His dedication to media extended beyond the university, as he served as the Technical Director for the Inter-American Division (IAD), traveling extensively throughout Central America.
In 2003, Dr. Cheddar migrated to Canada, where he continued producing programs for broadcast on platforms such as Hope Channel and local television stations. In 2007, he joined Oakwood University, contributing to the development of the Broadcast Journalism program. During his tenure, he produced and directed TV series for 3ABN and Hope Channel, as well as created impactful documentaries highlighting significant events such as desegregation in education and the devastating tornadoes of 2011.
Dr. Cheddar's expertise was recognized once again when he joined Andrews University, where he revised the curriculum in Film and Television and designed a state-of-the-art television studio. However, his dedication to Oakwood University brought him back, where he developed new curriculums in Film and Television Production and Broadcast Journalism.
Throughout his career, Dr. Cheddar has made notable contributions as part of the production team for the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists Sessions. He presently serves as the producer/director for the popular "Breath of Life" weekly television broadcast and has worked on high-profile holiday specials for esteemed networks such as ABC and NBC.
Dr. Cheddar holds a Master of Arts Degree in Scriptwriting, Producing, and Directing, as well as a Doctor of Professional Studies in Documentary Filmmaking in History and Education from Middlesex University, London. Committed to the success of his students, he enjoys collaborating with them on various productions. In his personal life, Dr. Cheddar is married to Dianne Brown, and they have one adult daughter, Daynia.
Fees & Costs
Package 1 - TTD$4,000.00:
Course Tuition Only
Package 2 - TTD$5,800.00:
Course Tuition, Accommodation, Meals & Airport Transfers.
- Make payment for Package 1 or Package 2
- Complete Registration Form
- Submit Proof of Payment
To complete registration, proof of payment must be submitted no later than Thursday, June 29, 2023 at 12:00pm. Submission must be made by direct reply to the confirmation email received upon submission of the registration form.
- Go to: aeorion.usc.edu.tt/Anon/third-party-payment.aspx
- Enter the third party payment key: 17034302
- Select the “Payment Type” as Professional Certificate
- Currency amounts can only be written in Trinidad and Tobago dollars.
- Fill out your card details and billing information.
- Verify that you have inserted the correct information and click “PAY NOW”
- You will receive an email as confirmation of your payment.
Online Transfers/Bank Deposits (TTD$):
- RBC Royal Bank Account Number: 1000-040-102-13404
- Republic Bank Account Number: 3501-594-29201
International Wire Transfer (USD$):
- Beneficiary: University of the Southern Caribbean
- Beneficiary Address: Maracas Royal Road, St. Joseph
- Beneficiary Account Number: 1000 180 103 16573
- Beneficiary Bank Name: RBC Bank T&T Ltd.
- Beneficiary Name Bank Address: St. Augustine Shopping Centre, EMR, St. Augustine
- Swift Code: RBTTTTPX
- Intermediary Bank: Bank of New York
- Intermediary Bank Address: 48 Wall Street, NY, NY, USA ABA/Routing: 021-000-018
- Intermediary Bank Account: 890-0016-329 in the name of RBC Bank T&T LTD
For Further Information
Contact the Department of Corporate Communications:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: (868) 662-2241 ext. 1577