Top Filler

History

The University of the Southern Caribbean (USC) is a private, coeducational institution with a diverse student body. It is operated by the Caribbean Union Conference of the Seventh-day Adventists, which consists of the following territories in the Anglophone countries: Barbados, Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago, the British and U.S. Virgin Islands, the former Dutch colony of Suriname,the Windward and Leeward Islands, excluding the Francophone Dependencies.

Our beginnings

The University of the Southern Caribbean was founded in 1927 as East Caribbean Training School, for the purpose of educating the youth of the Caribbean Union Conference. Two years later, it became Caribbean Training College. In 1945, the College developed a well-defined college preparatory instructional programme; and in 1947, Caribbean Training College was officially declared a junior college, offering two-year post-secondary certificates in theology, teacher training, and business and secretarial science.

Caribbean Union College

In1956, the College again assumed a new name: Caribbean Union College. In September 1970, an important academic extension was instituted at Caribbean Union College. The two-year junior college programme in theology was extended to a four-year academic preparatory programme, leading to the Bachelor of Theology degree. Subsequent changes included the conferring, since 1985, of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Business Administration, and Associate degrees in a wide range of disciplines, in affiliation with Andrews University, Michigan, USA.

University status

A significant change in status was received in February 2006 with the official conferral of the title “University.” The certificate of Institutional Title was presented to the Administration, by the Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT), making USC the third University in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.